Our Wedding Day

Our Wedding Day
On our wedding day 6/13/09 (Just 5 days before finding his tumor)

Monday, September 3, 2012

Something crazy?! What??

Happy Monday! I hope everyone is enjoying their Labor Day!!

We've had quite the holiday weekend!! Thursday was yet another big day for us. Friday was my brother and sister-in-law's wedding. Saturday was my amazing hubby's birthday, and his sister and her family came into town. We spent time with them Saturday and had a family picnic Sunday. Now today Faith is busy with her homework (or rather, staring around the room, putting OFF writing her sentences...), which means I've got time to blog!!!

I really wanted to blog about Thursday that evening, but I just didn't have time. Of course, if you're our friend on Facebook, then you already know :) But this post will go into more detail!



You all know how the appointment went Wednesday. You also know that as of Wednesday, we were seriously looking at IVF in January. I understood the reasoning, it all made sense. And I had finally decided that I could handle that, since it seemed to be our only option. But I couldn't help the stab of disappointment I felt because my original plan wasn't going to happen. I wanted to be pregnant at Christmas!! I wanted to be SHOWING at Christmas!! At least a little bit! I didn't want to miss out on Black Friday but knew that would be best (if we did IVF in October and were successful). So I had accepted that. I wanted things to happen asap. It was hard to come to terms with the fact that asap was, essentially, January. But I did. I was fine by later that evening.

At the end of our appointment Wednesday my amazing nurse, Connie, took some blood. This blood work was going to check my progesterone and make sure I had ovulated. Yes, I had felt it, but they needed to be positive. Connie said she'd call with the results Thursday, and asked if it was okay if she left a message. Since the numbers we'd given her were both cell numbers, we said that was perfectly fine.


I went to work Thursday just like I do every day. But the day was spent answering many questions about the appointment and when we'd get to start the whole process. I was expecting a call from Connie with my results, but knew the "scheduling call" wouldn't be coming until early the next week since things were so busy and it would take some coordinating.
Around 2:45 my cell phone rang. I glanced at it and saw "unknown" with no number listed. That meant I was going to ignore it... And then I remembered that the last time someone from OURM had called, it had been "unknown" like that, too! I snatched my phone up to answer but it had already been transferred to my voicemail.
Oh well, since it's only the call about my progesterone results. She'll tell me that in her message...
My voicemail tone went off and I let it be for a few minutes. Deep breaths. It's just the progesterone results. You KNOW you ovulated Destiny. Everything looked great at the appointment, you FELT the ovulation, the blood work will only CONFIRM that.
I listened to the voicemail.
"Hi Destiny, This is Connie with Dr H's office. If you could give me a call back at ______. I'll talk to you soon, thanks!"
What? Call her back? This is just supposed to be the progesterone results. She could just leave that on the voicemail, that's why we gave her permission. Why do I have to call back for that? Unless something is wrong. Ohmygosh. Something is wrong.
I went into my mom's office so I could call privately. And by privately, I mean with my momma sitting right there, listening to my side of the conversation. ;)
"What do you think they'll say? Anything about the scheduling?" No, that's not supposed to happen until next week.....
"No. This was just supposed to be my bloodwork results...."

I was transferred to Connie, and was only on hold for a few seconds.
"This is Connie."
"Hi Connie, this is Destiny. I was just returning your call?"
"Hi Destiny!! How are you today?" Who cares how I am? What is WRONG?!
"I'm good, how are you doing?"
"I'm great! Okay so I've got your progesterone results here. You definitely ovulated!" Whew!!!
"Okay, great."
"And also... After you left yesterday, something crazy happened..." Something crazy?? What??
"Oh yeah? What's that?"
"Well I got a call from someone wanting to cancel their October IVF." Ohhhh my gosh.... Ohmygosh! Don't get your hopes up Destiny, don't get your hopes up!!
"Oh really?"
"Yep. So that means I've got an open spot for IVF in October. A spot I need to fill..." I want it, I want it, I WANT IT!!!!
"Okay..."
"So it's yours if you want it?" I DO I DO I DO I DO I DO! YES!!!!!!!!
"We would LOVE the October spot!!"
"Okay, great! So I'll need you to call on the first day of your next menstrual cycle. Then everything can start with your testing and birth control pills and everything else. Your official "start date" for the IVF, meaning the stimulation medication, will be October 20th. And the estimated egg retrieval will be October 29th." Ohmygosh!!!
"Okay, I've got that all down."
"Okay, so just go ahead and call me on the first day of your cycle and we can get everything set up! I will have the lab get a hold of you to set up the transfer of the sperm from the sperm bank." Ahhhh!!!!
"Okay great. Thank you so much!"
"Have a good day!"
"You too, bye!"

The whole time, my mom was looking at what I was writing down. I had mouthed to her that we got October and she looked pretty pleased. When I hung up, she asked what all was happening.
We pulled a calendar out and started filling in the dates. Then I called Danny and left a message, telling him the good news!


So! HERE WE GO!!! :) I can't believe this is all happening! I can't believe WE ARE HERE!!!!

In about a week (and a day) I will be calling Connie. I'm not sure what my next step will be from there, but I assume it will be putting me on birth control. We will also schedule the trial transfer and saline sonogram. I'm not sure (even after some internet research) which day that normally happens on. The day of the trial transfer, I will learn how to do the injections. Or, well, DANNY will. He will  be the one doing them. And those injections will start soon after that. I will get a calendar completely personalized to my cycle at that appointment as well.
On October 20th I will start the stimulating injections. Those will force a LOT of eggs to grow. On the 29th, if my ovaries obey, we will do the egg retrieval. Which means I will have the trigger shot on the evening of the 27th. The 28th will be a day free of injections, I think. And the morning of the 29th I will check in, and get my eggs taken! I think I'll be able to go home that day. And then we'll wait on a fertilization report. They will then tell us how many of my eggs were able to be fertilized. Then it's the waiting game. We will HOPEFULLY wait for a 5 day transfer (if the embryos grow well and don't start dying off quickly). That will put us there on a weekend, which makes me happy :)

Two weeks after the egg retrieval, I should be getting a pregnancy test. Since that would be November 12th, which is a holiday, I THINK we will be going down on the 13th for that test. The 13th! 13 is our magic number, so I find that very fitting :)


Do you know what this all means? It means we will have to pay in October (but pay for the meds before that)!! If you've been planning on donating, NOW IS THE TIME to do so!

Don't forget about the Premier Designs Jewelry party on the 14th of this month!!!

Thank you, to everyone, for all of your help and support!!! WE'RE DOIN' THIS!!!

1 comment: