Our Wedding Day

Our Wedding Day
On our wedding day 6/13/09 (Just 5 days before finding his tumor)

Thursday, July 5, 2012

WHO SAYS THAT?!

Happy Thursday!!! I hope everyone had a Happy 4th and everyone stayed safe!!!

A quick update...
I can't stress enough that we NEED TWENTY people to come to the Quartermania and sign in under my name!! That's the ONLY way we'll benefit from the paddles and the donated-item auction round. I've got 20 people on my list right now but I need more than that because things come up and people sometimes have to change their plans. I don't want that to happen to 5 people and then be 5 short!! Here is all the info here:
http://www.facebook.com/events/323181907770785/
Come out, BRING FRIENDS, and win lots of stuff for just quarters!!!!!

Next up... We've got an Event page up for the Christmas in July ornament sale!! There are bigger pics there than what I posted here, so go check them out! You can order there or message me privately!!
http://www.facebook.com/events/391032197620614/

The Pampered Chef link will be up soon!!

AND we are collecting for the August Garage Sale... It's going to be a BIG ONE so we're collecting starting NOW, and we want your stuff!! Message me if you've got stuff and we'll figure out how to get it where it needs to go! :)

We'd REALLY REALLY LOVE to reach our ultimate goal by our birthday month... September (Danny's birthday is 9/01, mine is 9/30)... So if you've got ideas for other fundraisers, I WANT TO HEAR THEM!!!!  Or if you've been planning on helping but have been waiting until we are closer to our goal so you can push us over the top, well, get ready! We're ALMOST THERE!!!

...................................................................................................................................................


I have so many different posts I want to write today, one is a continuation of our cancer journey, one is about holidays and one is about things you just shouldn't say to people...

It's Thursday so I won't continue with our journey today.... Holidays are always on my mind (I'm a planner!!)... So, what-not-to-say wins!!!

I know you all read my posts on WHAT NOT TO SAY to infertile people and people in general. If you didn't, you should go do that! Seriously! Many people commented with things they've been told and I added them to the list. Well, today's post is just another couple things I've heard since. At the garage sale fundraiser!!!


They say KIDS say the darndest things. Well, that's true of course. Faith is always blurting things out that make me laugh hysterically or duck my head in hopes that nobody heard and will look around for who said it... But after our experience at the Garage Sale fundraiser, I want to throw in there that sometime little-old-ladies (who I love and adore!) can say the darndest things! And some of it can be quite offensive!!

Danny and I showed up to the garage sale Friday basically on a high. We'd gotten great news from Crystal and Angelo about how much the sale had made the day before and there was no way anything could ruin our day!! Well, one little-old-lady (again, I love little-old-ladies!!!) tried to take that on as a challenge I think!

We walked up to the table and chairs where Crys and Ang were set up and we were chatting, when this lady walked up...
"I don't know who you all are doing this sale for so they can have a baby..." These wonderful friends are doing it for US...
I started to raise my hand in a wave and tell her it is us that it's benefiting, when she finished her sentence...
"But they're just better off without!!" WHAT?!?!?!
Cue in awkward giggles... I had to look away... WHO SAYS THAT?!?! Seriously??
The lady walked off, after paying for her purchase...
She then, of course, came back!
"I've got four kids of my own..." Blah blah blah. I can't listen to this lady any more. I bet she got pregnant as easy as pie... Actually, pies aren't easy... I bet she got pregnant easily though. Had four kids, raised them, and now she's like that?! Really?? Doesn't she love her grandkids if she has some? What an AWFUL thing to say... She's probably back tracking now, but I can't give her my attention. What she said was offensive...


I tuned out everything else that lady said. However, Danny had to deal with a similar (okay, maybe worse) situation the next day.

Crystal and I were inside working on cupcakes (I'm not going to lie, I was sitting there telling Crystal which frosting went on which cupcake, she was doing the work!), and Danny and Angelo were being amazing husbands and were working the sale. Danny had to leave to go to Faith's skating lesson and brought my purse in to me so I'd have it. I heard a lady telling him to come back out and talk to her because she had a story to tell. It made me giggle, thinking this little old lady was having a good time talking to my husband who was trying to leave to make it to the lesson on time. I didn't think another thing about it, or that lady, until later on when Danny and I were waiting for everyone to pick up their cupcakes from my mom's house.
"Did you hear what that lady said to me?" Huh?
"What lady? The one that had a story to tell you?"
"Yeah, that one..." Hahaha That adorable lady!
"Nope, what did she have to say?"
"Well, honestly, she really kind of made me mad." WHAT?!?!
"What did she say?"
"She said she was proud of us guys for working the sale or something, and then started asking about why IVF was needed. So I told her the sale was to benefit you and I, and I told her that I was a cancer survivor after being diagnosed right after the wedding and all that...." MMhhhmmmmm, okay...
"Right, okay..."
"And she seriously asked me, 'Well, after having cancer and all that, are you sure you should even HAVE kids????'" WHAT?!?! WHAT?!?!?! WHO SAYS THAT??
"You're kidding me... Why? Because you had cancer you shouldn't have kids? What kind of sense does that make??"
"I told her, I'm fine. I beat it. I'm healthy." Thank you Lord for that!
"Right... And?"
"And she said 'Well still, then you're sort of passing it down...'" OH NO SHE DID NOT.
"STOP RIGHT THERE. I don't want to hear anymore. Why do people think that cancer can be passed down like that? Yes cancer can run in families, but that's not a reason to NOT HAVE KIDS. Especially considering colon cancer is the ONE cancer that can actually be prevented."
"I know. And it's not like we haven't DEEPLY thought about this decision and made it TOGETHER. I mean, if we're to the point where we're raising thousands of dollars for IVF, there's no turning back now. There's no changing our minds. We've decided what we're going to do and we're doing it." Yes we are, and it's GOING to work... Please God let it work!
"Right. Exactly. Why SHOULDN'T we have kids together? Yes I'll be crazy about the kid or kids and make sure they do every sort of preventative when it comes to possible cancers, but I would do that ANYWAY. Because I'm a planner and a worrier!"
"It just made me mad. Like she was saying we shouldn't have kids. Like she was saying we were making the wrong decision." Ohhh THAT lady. Grrrrr.


So, my point.... If you don't agree with something like this that we're doing, by all means, you have a right to that opinion. But you don't HAVE to help us with our dreams. Nobody is forcing you. Please, be considerate of what you say and who you say it to. Telling a cancer survivor that they shouldn't have kids for ANY reason, heck telling ANYONE that, is wrong on so many levels...

And so ends my rant for today :)




1 comment:

  1. That is very wrong, and stupid. People are dumb. What you guys are doing is amazing and I hope all your dreams come true. You should check out my last blogpost, youd like it. Its called "Things to Say and NOT Say to a widow", and so far, 126 people have shared it on Facebook alone! Its my most popular blogpost so far! Pretty cool......

    ReplyDelete