Our Wedding Day

Our Wedding Day
On our wedding day 6/13/09 (Just 5 days before finding his tumor)

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

I wonder if she sees that smile on his face...

Time for a new post!!

I hope everyone is staying safe from all the crazy storms we've had lately! Our hearts and prayers go out to all those who have lost friends and family and also to those who have lost their homes. I absolutely cannot imagine going through anything so awful.

The Mary Kay fundraiser is off to a great start!! If you'd like to order, there is now a page to the right that talks all about our current fundraisers, and the links are over there!

The St Patrick's Day Cupcake fundraiser is also starting. The "trial" cupcakes have been made, taste tested (by Danny and I, they were delicious!) and photographed. We will make an Event page on Facebook later with the prices so the orders can begin!!
And while  I'm thinking about it... I have the total for the Valentine's Day Cupcake total profit.... The grand total was $365.64!!!!!! We didn't expect such a huge number and we are so happy with that turnout. Also, that Cupcake Event was an investment event. We bought enough supplies (not any supplies that will go bad!) to last us through St Patrick's Day and maybe even into Easter. So the St Patrick's Day Cupcakes will give us more profit than the Valentine's Day Event did, if we get lots of orders again! I'm hopeful!!

The other fundraisers will be happening soon. It's finally March, it's Colon Cancer Awareness Month, and we have so many fundraisers planned!! The Cut-A-Thon, the J. Crisler Photo fundraiser, the Pure Romance Party. Ahhh I'M SO EXCITED!!!!

I will be updating more as soon as I get any more information regarding any of the fundraisers :) Now time for our story!!
 .............................................................................................................................................................

It was Monday again. Chemo week. We woke up that morning absolutely dreading the day. The one part I wasn't dreading was lunch. It didn't matter where we ate, what mattered is that we'd get to eat together. The one good thing about chemo days!
Danny picked me up from work and we decided to eat at Taco Tico. It was close to the cancer center, and they were fast.
Danny ordered his food and a HUGE drink, full of ice.
"I've got to drink it now and enjoy it. Since I won't be able to in a few hours." My poor husband.
"At least your appetite is still great."
"Yeah. Everything else is normal." Nothing is normal now... With chemo and cancer constantly on the mind!
We finished our lunch and headed to the cancer center. An appointment was scheduled with Dr Johnson before chemo, after a blood draw/labwork for Danny. So, we got the pager and stayed in the regular waiting room until Danny was called into the lab, and then we went down to the awesome waiting room. We started in on a different puzzle.
"I guess other people finished the last puzzle since we were here last time."
"Yeah, they've all got plenty of time to work on it. Waiting time averages what? An hour?" More than that, last time.
"I hope we don't have to wait as long this time."
We messed with the puzzle, enjoyed each other's company. We also snacked on some Jolly Ranchers that were set out in dishes all over the waiting room.
BzzzzzBBZZZZZZzzzzzzz.
"Oh look, I didn't even have to complain this time for it to go off!"
"See, complaining doesn't guarantee you'll get your way. Sometimes you'll get your way without complaining. Are you taking notes?" Oh he's so funny... Not.
"Shut it, jerkface!!"
We laughed as we walked down the hall to the regular waiting room, and some people stared. I didn't care, we were making the most out of chemo days by still having fun and joking with each other.
"Hello Mr Crabb. How are you feeling?"
"Just fine." And I hope hope hope it stays that way!!
"Step up so we can get your weight. Okay. Great. Right this way."
We sat in a different exam room, and waited for less than five minutes for the doctor to come in.
"Hello you two!"
"Hey."
"So, you've got one chemo session under your belt. How are you feeling?"
"I'm really feeling great." Thank God.
"Any side effects that we talked about?"
"The cold intolerance. Carbonation in pop also bothers me."
"The chemo can make your throat raw, which would be bothered by the carbonation. This type of chemo med causes heart burn easily, and even if you haven't noticed it yet it could still be there. Those acids damage your throat. So, drinking pop won't hurt anything. It's just your comfort level. If you feel like you need pop and can handle the pain, that's perfectly fine." Danny always thinks he needs pop!
"Okay, great. I did notice that the cold intolerance stopped before this last weekend."
"Hopefully it stays like that for you. Some people have the side effects for longer and longer with each session. Others don't. I'm hoping with your otherwise great health, you'll be fine with the side effects and they won't last as long. Also, the break for radiation and then the month long break after that, will help, too."
"Great."
"So, do you feel any tingling in your hands or feet?"
"Nope."
"None at all?"
"None at all, whatsoever."
"Well that's great! Okay, let's do a quick physical exam."
He felt Danny's incision area and also looked at the port area. Listened to him breathe.
"Okay, everything looks great. I looked at your labwork
"Okay."
"Do you have any questions on anything?"
"Nope."
Oh, he's looking at me now.
"I don't have any right now."
"Okay, well I'll walk you two out. And you should be called back for chemo shortly." Shortly! HA!!
We headed back down to the good waiting room and went back to our puzzle. And yet again, Dr Johnson was right. The pager went off quickly and we marched right back to the main waiting room.
"Right this way, I'll get you set up in your chair and then grab a chair for your wife." Grab a chair for me? We don't get the individual room again? Dang it....
We walked into a large rectangular room. On each side of the room were rows of recliners. In front of most of the recliners was a chair, filled by a spouse or other caregiver. Above the recliners were also cabinets. One nurse was getting into one as we walked in and I seen stacks of blankets. Everywhere I looked, people looked miserable. The people in the recliners. Their caregivers.
We do not belong here. We don't fit in. We aren't miserable. We aren't unhappy.
"Here's your chair Daniel. And I'll grab you a chair." At least his seat looks comfy. Here comes mine, and it definitely doesn't.
"Here you go. So, your nurse will be right with you."
"Thanks."
I am pretty sure I can feel the misery from every one else leaking into me. Just being in this room makes me feel down. I want our own personal room back!!
"Hello!! Daniel?" Oh, look!! A smile!! Someone in this room ISN'T miserable! Finally!
"That's me."
"Can you tell me your birthday?"
"9-1-72."
"Great, just have to make sure we're giving the meds to the right person is all. I will be your nurse today. Time to get you all hooked up." I wonder how long it'll take this time to get to the meds. The fluids seem to take forever.
Danny took his over shirt off and moved is undershirt over.
"Oh, you didn't need any numbing cream?"
"No, it's fine."
"Okay, here it goes. One, two... three."
"OUCH!!" I wonder if she sees that smile on his face...
"Oh I'm so sorry!!!"
"I'm just kidding. It didn't hurt."
"Oh geez." She sort of swatted at him, playfully. "Today is going to be a fun day, isn't it?" She's catching on. I like her!!
She looked at me, "Does he always act like this?"
"Yep. Better get used to it."
"Well, that's okay. We could use some fun in this room." YES YOU COULD!!
The rest of the afternoon (which turned into early evening) seemed to go by quickly, but we still didn't get out early enough to get Faith from daycare. I knew this was bothering Danny because he couldn't make up that time or switch days, because he had school on the other days.
"Maybe we should start telling them we really need out of there earlier. There's enough time. If they'd just pay close attention to when it's time to switch the bags, and have the pump ready, we'd be out of there in plenty of time to get Faith." He has a point...
"Yeah, that's true. Maybe we should try to catch their attention when the bag runs out, or gets close to running out. Instead of waiting for the beeping of the machine to start."
"We'll have to do that... Now, let's get home so I can have some warm tea. Ugh." Poor Danny. Cold intolerance sucks!!!


That's all I've got for today. Please follow and SHARE SHARE SHARE!! Thanks for reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment