Our Wedding Day

Our Wedding Day
On our wedding day 6/13/09 (Just 5 days before finding his tumor)

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

I AM breathing!!

I have so many updates for all of you!!!! So many so, that I don't think I will continue with our story today. Because we have THAT MANY updates. Including the latest health update from the oncologist appointment we had yesterday :)

This last four days have been absolutely HUGE in regards to our fundraisers and our future.

Friday I had my Pure Romance party, where I had a great turn out and not only got the normal (wonderful) hostess benefits, my wonderful friend Mel also donated 10% of the sales from the party to our IVF fund!!! So, we made almost $80 there. Just for hosting a party which gave me free product!!! So amazing!!! It was a ton of fun and well worth it!!

Saturday wasn't a big day for us but it was a fun day for me because I went and seen the Hunger Games... I tried to talk Danny into seeing it, but he decided he would rather NOT see it. Blah blah blah. I took my niece and her best friend who is like another niece to me. We had fun. And Danny didn't have to suffer through it ;)

Sunday... Sunday was SUCH a fantastic day!!!
The Cut-a-Thon at B-NV'd Salon for our IVF Fund was from 1-5 and we got there early to set up the food and get everything ready that we could help with. We had hot dogs, chips, drinks and cookies for sale. Hair cuts were $20 and massages were $5 for 15 minutes. Right at 1:00 people started coming in. People I didn't know. Some people I did. Almost everyone also bought food. There was a steady flow of people who came in during the entire time. A couple of times we had to make a list of people waiting for hair cuts because there was a bit of a wait due to a rush. Some people came in who didn't know us and didn't know the stylists, they just seen a repost of a repost of a repost on Facebook. THAT was amazing to see. Social media is a wonderful thing and it was touching to see people come in to donate who haven't been following our story but seen the fundraiser flyer and wanted to help.
Tonya was there with her Scentsy product and all the sales/orders from that day went towards our ongoing "party" so we got the commission off of them. And I'm not exaggerating when I say it's like the money was being thrown at us from every direction.
The grand total JUST from the Cut-a-Thon (minus the cost of the food/drinks) was $659!!!! That doesn't include the Scentsy that was sold either. We are still in shock by the number of people who came to support us and the amount of money raised.

I cannot thank everyone enough for all the help and support we've gotten so far. But I'm going to do a quick run through for the people that helped so much this weekend:
Mel, your idea to turn my fun party into a fundraising event was a great one and even though you didn't have to do it, we are so thankful! You're an amazing PR consultant and I'm glad some parties got booked off of my party so you can make some more money for yourself since you donated so much of my party to our fund!
To everyone who came out for a hair cut, massage, food or to smell the Scentsy scents... THANK YOU. Seeing the constant flow of people was heart warming. Family, friends, strangers.... We didn't expect such a big turn out and are still so happy that we have so much support from all around.
Aunt Nell, you are such an amazing person! Thank so so so so much for spreading our story and for coming up with the idea to have a cut-a-thon for us. Thank you for talking to your fellow stylists and please tell them thank you for us, for helping out! I'm including the massage therapist in this "stylist" category as well. You all worked so hard for us, on your feet the entire afternoon. You didn't have to do it, but we are beyond thankful that you did!!
Tonya, thank you for taking the time out of your Sunday to come and sit at the salon and take orders for our fundraiser party. It was great chatting with you all afternoon. Thank you for being so willing to help out with so much!!
To all of our family and friends (you should all know who you are!!), thank you doesn't cover the gratitude we feel for each and every one of you. Your constant support is astounding. Your ideas for future fundraisers, your participation in current/ongoing fundraisers, your love and kindness.... It all means so much to us. I cannot put in to words how wonderful it is to know we have so much love and support at all times, completely surrounding us.
Lyndsey, please know you are included in our family. You do so much for us that I cannot even sit here and list it all out, and I know that you do it out of love. We love  you so much!! Thank you doesn't begin to cover it... I just wish you'd gotten the massage I offered to pay for while you were up at the cut-a-thon!!
We are so honored to know each and every one of you!! We could never thank you all enough, but I hope you all know how much every thing means to us. The money is one thing and is obviously appreciated, but the kind words... the prayers.... the love and support. Those are all "things" that mean more to us than you will ever know!


Now that I'm sufficiently weepy, I may as well go on with the rest of today's post... I get to fill you all in on our wonderful day yesterday! We're still on cloud 9, and I want you all on cloud 9 with us!!!

Danny had a CT scan last week. I haven't blogged about the scare that occurred at the end of last year yet, but let me just say that we were nervous about this scan. It wasn't originally due until June, and it was supposed to be his "final" cancer related scan. There was a scare though, and because we were worried (Dr Johnson wasn't), the scan got moved up. So, last Monday Danny went in for lab work and on Wednesday he went in for his CT scan. Yesterday was the big "results appointment," which basically means I was so scared and nervous that my eye was twitching constantly and I couldn't sleep at all.
Yesterday Danny and I went to lunch, like we always do before his appointments at the cancer center. I'm pretty sure you could feel the tension in the air. We were both nervous and you could see it. Danny is great about trying to ease the stress and kept the subject on unimportant things like KU making it to the Final Four and so on. I only heard about half of it.
We headed to the cancer center and waited in the regular waiting room which was very empty considering it was a Monday. We both played Draw Something on our phones while we waited.
"This drawing is for Deena... would you be able to guess it?"
"Islands?" Well duh...
"Yes.. But WHICH islands?"
"Oh, are we calling those islands Hawaii?" Ha!! Smarty pants...
"We are... And I'm sure she'll get it..."
BBBzzzzz Bzzzzzz. Instant panic attack... I'm not ready for this appointment yet. I'm not ready to hear what he has to say.... Oh no...
We were taken back to our normal exam room and waited a few minutes for Dr Johnson.
"Babe... Breathe." I AM breathing!!
"I'm breathing just fine."
"It's going to be fine, okay?" Oh God, I hope so.
"I know it is."
Silence...
We both just stared at the pamphlets on the wall, waiting....
"Hello!! How are you guys?" Ahhhh NERVOUS is how we are.
"Great."
"Well that's always nice to hear!"
"Just hoping this really was my last scan...." Please please please.
"This was your last scan." What?? Does that mean the scan was clear?
"Oh yeah?" Yeah... what he said...
"Let's see here. The scan was absolutely clear. You do not need another CT scan." Oh thank you Lord, thank you!!!
"Well I went in for a colonoscopy at the end of the year and he wanted to do the PET scan, so I was hoping this scan would be good too."
"Yeah, I seen the results of all of that. It all looks great. And... let me look here... Okay he wants repeat colonoscopies every three years which is a good amount of time, and that will be lifelong." Thank goodness. That needs to be lifelong!
"That's great."
"But I will only see the two of you... four more times. Once every six months. Now, let's do the exam so you can get out of here." Four more times. We will only see Dr Johnson four more times. No more scans. No more dyes, no more barium drinks. This is the end. There isn't a light at the end of the tunnel, this IS the end of the tunnel. We can finally focus on us and our family and our future. Oh, FINALLY.
Danny and Dr Johnson were talking about hockey and the Thunder. I was in my own little blissful world.
"Okay, you both are free to go. I will just have the schedule mailed to you. See you in six months!"
"Thank you so much!!!!"
We walked out into the hallway and pushed the elevator button. I was still in my own little world when Danny grabbed my face and kissed me.
"We are done! We don't have to worry about any of this any more!" We are done. We really are.
I hugged him tight, and he reached down to wipe the tears from my face that he knew were coming...


We are done. We are done done done done done done done. NO MORE SCANS!! Have I mentioned that we're done?! Danny is CANCER FREE still. We have marked EVERYTHING off of our To Do list.

Thanks for reading today. I hope you enjoy being on cloud 9 with us!! Please remember to SHARE SHARE SHARE!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment