Our Wedding Day

Our Wedding Day
On our wedding day 6/13/09 (Just 5 days before finding his tumor)

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Oh my, he is on some good stuff!!

I've gotten a few bracelets out!! I got some money in the mail today, so I will be sending more out tonight hopefully!

It sounds like the Silpada fundraiser will be a success, I've gotten quite a few messages about it already! Don't forget about the Scentsy fundraiser that's currently ongoing!!

AND!!!!! The photography mini session date looks to be March 25th!! Once Jennifer makes the flier, I will post it here and on Facebook! I can not say enough how much I LOVE every picture that Jennifer takes, and if you read my post about how understanding she was when we were in the hospital after Danny's surgery and hadn't paid her yet for our wedding pictures, you can see how caring and WONDERFUL she is. She has become so much more than just our wedding photographer and I couldn't be more thankful for her :)

I think that's all the updates I have for now. So, back to our story :) .........................................................


An appointment was scheduled for meeting with the urologist, but first was Danny's wisdom teeth removal! He was more than ready, but first we had to pay the cost that wasn't covered by insurance. That was about $200, thank goodness we didn't spend all of our wedding gift money while on our honeymoon!! That was about he last of it though, and the stress was kicking in.
"That's $200 we could surely use elsewhere. Maybe I can wait on getting the teeth removed." No sir!
"What? No. You have needed them removed for YEARS. You DEFINITELY need them removed before chemo. They can get infected easily once chemo starts, and you do NOT need to deal that on top of all the stupid side effects that go along with it."
"That's still a lot of money." UGH!!!!
"Stop. We are spending it. It needs to be done, and done NOW."
"Fine." Stubborn man... I win, again.
Danny's appointment was on a Friday, and we showed up to the office early so we could pay and get all the paperwork done.
"Have you been on any medication recently and are you currently on any now?" HA!! What has he NOT been on?!
We listed everything he had been on and when the last time he had anything was. Then they took him back. I expected a long wait, but since he was the first one back, it wasn't really all that bad. When they were done, a nurse came and got me and took me to see him.
"Here are the instructions on caring for him today. He can't drive now, and won't be able to drive if he takes the pain medicine. If he isn't in too much pain, he can take Tylenol. Here is how to clean everything..." blah blah blah. They should make these talks more exciting. I've heard too many of them over the last month and a half...
"Any questions?"
"Nope, I think we're good."
"If  you need anything, call this number. If you want to go get your car and drive around back, I will have Daniel waiting for you at that door." What? They don't want him to walk through the waiting room and scare everyone with his face all wrapped up? Dang it... Would've been fun too...
I drove around to the back door and the nurse helped Danny into the car. She waved and I drove off.
"She slkdjf afkjn ehuie terie ri" (I swear that's really how it sounded..)
"What?"
"Hmm??"
"What did you say? All I heard was nonsense."
"I didn't see gnneriuepo n sijr"
"WHAT?!"
"What?" Oh my, he is on some good stuff!!
"Nothing, let's stop and drop off this prescription on our way home."
We made it the entire way without any more gibberish conversations, much to my disappointment. It was really rather fun! I dropped off his prescription at the pharmacy, where I was pretty sure they knew me by name after all the trips we'd made there since the wedding.
"Okay, we're home. I'm going to get my driver's license changed now. Will you be okay alone?"
"Going to sleep."
"That's probably a good idea. I will be back."
I kissed his forehead so I wouldn't hurt him (and his mouth was full of nasty gauze anyway, not very enticing in my opinion...). And I drove all the way to the dmv. I stood in line for about an hour. We had gone to the social security office the week before and my new card was on it's way, and all I needed was my new license, then I woule officially be a Crabb!
"We're sorry, we're having some computer problems. Everything is down for now. We hope to have this all taken care of in the next hour."
I sent Danny a text telling him I was on my way home, without my new last name, but would have to come back later. I had the day off so I NEEDED to get it all taken care of. I grabbed lunch and some jello and mashed potatoes for Danny in case he was hungry.
When I got home, Danny wasn't asleep. He was watching tv and looked like he was in pretty good shape considering. He ate some of the food I brought him, and we hung out for a while. I decided to head BACK up to the dmv after a couple of hours. It took me a little longer to get there, and I was already a bit annoyed that I'd wasted so much of the day on this. I walked in, and there was a sign on the inner door saying they were closed, because their system was down. ANOTHER WASTED TRIP!!!!! I was so irritated!!!! I got BACK in the car and turned the radio up loud. I was going to jam out on my way home and get happy! Some awesome music was on... and then a commercial. I was about to change the channel when the commercial registered in my head.
"Two for one on all cats and kittens at the Kansas Humane Society. Today only!" Ohhhh YEA!!!
We had talked for months about getting a cat and the week before I found one I LOVED at Petsmart, and it was a KHS kitten. I called the Humane Society and asked them if the kittens they have at Petsmart were included in the two for one fee. They were!! I couldn't get home fast enough!
"Danny!! Danny! Are you awake?"
"Yes, why did you RUN in here?" I didn't run... Did I?
"Because! Guess what?!?!"
"Umm, there's a sale somewhere and you want to go." Did he hear the commercial too?
"Well, it's not really a SALE... but..." I told him about the commercial, and that the humane society said the petsmart kittens qualified too.
"I know we don't really NEED kittens right now, with everything going on. But that one tortie was there last week and I want her! And you liked her a lot! If she's still there, and there's another kitten there that catches our eye, can we PLEASE get them? PLEASE?!"
"You were never a cat person, I can't believe you are talking me into this."
"Another thing... it's TODAY only. So, we would have to go tonight. Or, like, soon. Because what if she's gone?"
"Oh jeez Des. Fine. You win." WOOHOOOO!!!! "Did you get your new license?"
"CRAP!! I forgot how mad I was about that... NO! The system was still down."
"Well, it's okay. Let's have dinner then go up to petsmart. Does Bionic Burger sound okay?"
"You are going to eat A BURGER even though you just got your wisdom teeth out a few hours ago?"
"That's what I said..." Ooooo he's gonna regret that decision...
"Well, if that's what you want... I'll go get it and we will eat here. Then go."
I drove there and picked up our dinner, and went back home. We ate, and Danny did just fine, much to my surprise. I was prepared to go get more mashed potatoes!
"Okay, let's go get the kittens. We should take the truck though, because we will need to get some cat stuff." Ohhh, right. Whoops.
We headed to the pet store and I walked in and went directly back to the kitten area. The tortie was still there!!! I was in love!!! Danny finally caught up and looked around. The tortie had caught his eye the week before and he was the one that pointed her out. He looked pretty dang happy that she was still there. He pet her through the cage while I looked around at the other KHS kittens.
"Danny the only other one I see that I like is that one in the same cage... She looks so sweet. And she's pretty. And they share the same cage so they already get along"
"She looks scared..." She's just a tiny little thing, of course she's scared!
"Would you two like to get a kitten out and get to know him or her?"
"Actually, we know we want this little girl here." I pointed to the tortie. "And this one in her same cage, we would like to see her also, please."
The worker shut the door to the kitten area and opened the cage. The torie came right to me. So sweet!! She was curious and was sniffing around and started walking around and exploring. The white cat was SO SO SCARED. She went to Danny and it took her quite a while to warm up, but she did.
"I see, I pick out the white kitten, and she prefers you..."
"That's how it always happens. Look, the black one likes you better and she's the one I picked out last week!" True...
"Okay, we will take these two. They are included in the two for one fee through KHS, right?"
"Oh I don't know anything about that ma'am, let me go call and I will be right back."
"Danny! I hope she gets the same answer I got when I called earlier!! I want them both!! I can't choose which one to leave if the person she calls says no!!"
"Don't worry about it, it'll be fine." If  you say so...
The lady was gone for what seemed like forever, and I was falling more in love with both kittens.
"Okay, they said they are included! Let's get this paperwork filled out, you two can do any shopping you need to get done, and these two will be ready for you when you're done."
"Thank you so so much!!"
"Oh, and you can't pay with a debit card for the kittens. They will have to be paid for with a cash or check." Ohhh CRAP!!
I searched through my purse and found my checkbook. I had ONE check left!!! I told her that was fine, and we filled out the appropriate paperwork. I wrote the check and she took it all. We got a cart, and started to look for everything we needed for two kittens.
"Okay, we've got the litterbox here. Litter. A scooper. What kind of toys should we get?" We took our full cart into the next aisle and picked out a few small things, and then Danny walked off. When I found him, he was by the cat towers.
"Look babe, this one is on sale. And they will need a place where they can get away from the dogs. We need it."
"Well, okay... It's still kind of expensive... BUT, it is much cheaper than the normal price."
"I'm getting it. I'm paying for all of this. Don't worry about it." Well okay then!
We started to walk towards the check out area and ran into the dog trainer that we went to when Pixie went through her training classes. He asked how the wedding went, and the honeymoon. We stood and talked to him for quite a while about everything. He couldn't believe anything, and he REALLY couldn't believe Danny had had his wisdom teeth out that day and was in the store, adopting kittens!! He asked about the dogs, and told me not to worry about them causing a problem with the kittens.
We went to the front and the kittens were together and safe in a carrying tote. They were very vocal and I spent a few minutes talking to them through the holes. We paid for all of the kitten essentials, got the adoption paperwork, and headed home.
"Look Danny, one of them has a cute name already. Sora. Do you like that?"
"I do, that's good for the white one, don't you think?"
"Yeah... and let's call the tortie Dahlia. Is that okay with you?"
"That's perfect."
We got home and got everything set up, and then opened up the tote so they could come out on their own and explore. It took them a bit, but they both got curious. Sora was still more frightened than Dahlia, but she found the litterbox, and a special hiding place in the spare room... under the bed.
"Will she be okay under there? Should we move the bed and get her out?"
"No, that will just scare her more. She will come out when she's ready. Her food is in here, she knows where the litterbox is. She is fine. We should let her come out on her own."
So we did. We spent the evening playing with Dahlia, and eventually Sora came out and joined in. She still got spooked easily and would run to her hiding spot, but she was getting used to us and the dogs.
I couldn't take enough pictures!

Sora decided she liked our bed, under the covers. And Dahlia just liked EVERYTHING. She was curious and feisty and she was definitely MY kitten. Sora got attached to Danny and that was okay with me.
The dogs were curious but very gentle and it was better than I imagined it would be!
"Danny, thanks for letting me get the kittens... I know you were concerned about the money to pay for your wisdom teeth, and we just dropped the money on the kittens.. but they mean so much to me already."
"I know babe. This is different. We could've lived without kittens, but they will help make everything easier. They're just another thing for you to love and focus on." LOVE HIM!!!!!
Danny's appointment with the urologist was the next week and I decided we should forget about everything until the day of that appointment. We would focus on the new kittens, surprise Faith with them. We would enjoy the days left before chemo and everything else and not worry about any of it.


That's all I've got for today. I know the wisdom teeth and us getting kittens aren't a big part of the cancer story, but it's a part of our journey. A big part that was important to us, and it's nice to look back and fondly remember their first day with us. My next post will be about us meeting Dr Gilbaugh. I won't be posting tomorrow. I will be busy all day and then we are going to a hockey game where my niece will be singing the National Anthem with her choir. So, look for my new post on Thursday!!
As always, please remember to follow and SHARE!! Thanks for reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment