Our Wedding Day

Our Wedding Day
On our wedding day 6/13/09 (Just 5 days before finding his tumor)

Friday, January 20, 2012

I'm FINALLY cool in her eyes!!

Happy Friday everyone!!!
I just want to share with those of you who aren't our friends on Facebook... When I was sitting here blogging last night, I was finding it hard to concentrate... Because I was being stared at. Want to see the culprit?
Ha!! That's my Pixie!!

I got some good news yesterday! I had booked a Pure Romance Party through a friend who is a consultant, and she's decided to donate a percentage of the sales to our IVF fund!! :) The party was booked long before this blog was even thought of, and donating it was her idea, and I am so excited!! :)

I also got some bad news yesterday. We weren't picked for one of the scholarship type things I signed up for from a really awesome foundation. I completely understand that they can't help everyone that needs it, and I'm okay with the decision. There are lots of people in our corner and we WILL raise and save enough money for our dreams to come true, I just know it!!

Last night I decided to post a link to our blog on our sperm bank's facebook page, thinking maybe someone else could be going through what we are and would like to read my side of it all. I never expected the company itself to see the post (so many companies on facebook pay no attention to the posts on their page from other people). This morning I was PLEASANTLY surprised to see their new status update was:
New blog by a young newlywed whose husband beat colon cancer. She shares their story, including their infertility struggle. Best wishes to the Crabbs, and thank you for sharing your story.
Followed by the link to our blog. I was ecstatic... and then I seen that they had commented on the post I had put on their wall last night:
Destiny, thank you so much for sharing your story/blog with RTL. You and Danny are inspiring, and we wish you the best. We'll be following your blog, and please keep us posted!

Now, I knew we were blessed with the BEST doctors possible, but I have realized now that we were also blessed with the BEST sperm bank (and they store much more than just sperm! Check out their website if you are in need of fertility preservation: http://reprotech.com/)!!

We get new followers and viewers every day and I cannot thank you all enough for sharing our blog!!

................................................................................................................................................................

Waking up in our own bed was marvelous, even if I was bombarded with thoughts of what all we needed to get done. We both had the day off and it was time to get busy!!
We started off calling the dentist, who referred Danny to an oral surgeon to take care of his widsom teeth. He needed a consult first, so we set that up.
Then, we headed to the mall!!! Danny was going to get his watch, since we couldn't find it on our cruise for the price Danny was happy with. I also needed to send my ring in for it to get fixed. I won't even get in to that whole fiasco, but I needed them to take my two bands apart, close a gap, and then solder the bands back together.
We went and seen our jewelry lady, who helped us when we were first shopping for rings and who Danny has bought everything for me from. She asked how we were doing, and we told her everything that was going on.
"Oh you guys... Well, what's the plan now? Chemo? Radiation? Did they get it all?"
"The surgeon said he felt like he got it all, but we haven't gotten any official word yet. We know he'll have chemo for sure, but radiation hasn't been mentioned yet."
"Well, I just finished up my chemo recently. My tip, eat RIGHT after the chemo, because after a while the medicine will all kick in and you won't be hungry and nothing will taste right. Eat on your way home from the clinic, so you can get something in your stomach before you start to feel like that."
We asked some questions about her chemo, she didn't have the same kind of cancer of course, but she didn't have it easy. She gave us some more tips, and then got out some watches for Danny to look at while she put my ring in the back.
Danny narrowed the watches down to two. They didn't have the original watch he wanted, but these were even better in his opinion. I told him the choice was entirely his, because it is his (late) wedding gift.
"Okay Shelly, I think we are going to get this one."
"Good choice. Let me get it put in the computer and box it up for you guys."
While she did that I browsed the wedding bands. I had one, but I liked the look of the double bands that surround the original band. My wedding band was a solitaire enhancer so it didn't look like we were MARRIED, it just looked like an engagement ring.
"I think for our first anniversary, you should buy me that double band set right there...."
"Don't you have enough diamonds?" NEVER!!!!!!
"Ummm, no. And I think that one would look really good..."
"I don't disagree. Write it down somewhere so I'll know what to look for next year." I have the BEST husband... no doubt about it.
Shelly came back with our bag.
"Here you go you two. Please PLEASE keep me updated on everything. I will see you in two weeks when your ring gets in, and you've got my email and phone number. Let me know if you need ANYTHING." Our jewelry lady rocks!
We left the mall, had lunch, and then went to see Danny's mom at her work. We showed her all the pictures from Florida and the cruise. We talked for a while about the trip, and then headed home.
When my brother got home from work, we went to pick up the puppies. Pixie and Zeus ran outside and met us at the truck. They were so excited to see us! I was in tears, I had missed them both so much! We went inside and talked all about the cruise. My nephews told us how good the dogs were. Evidently Pixie liked getting a bath outside with the hose, but Zeus wasn't having any part of it (which is odd, because Pixie is the one that hates baths!).  The dogs listened to the kids better than they listened to the adults, which was really no surprise. And my parents had come over and my mom had decided she liked Zeus and Pixie was annoying (again, complete opposite of the norm! Pixie isns't annoying!). We left there and took the puppies home, where they were excited to see Kira. Kira even surprised me and acted like she was happy to see them!

The next day was our day with Faith, and we picked her up from daycare after work. We had missed her SO much and couldn't wait to get her home to all of her gifts. We spent a while going through all of the items we had bought, and then we showed her the video of me swimming with the dolphin.
"That's YOU?! IN the water WITH that dolphin?!"
"Yep, his name is Ziggy, and he picked me to 'dance' with, too!"
"OH MY GOSH!!! How COOL!!" Ahhh I'm FINALLY cool in her eyes!! Ha!!
We showed her all the pictures we had, and the stuff we'd bought for ourselves. She was mostly just excited about her color changing necklace. Oh, the little things.
That day we also talked to the scheduler at the oncologist's office, and got a date for our initial consult with him. We would get paperwork in the mail, and needed to be sure to bring in a current insurance card.  We also needed to have all the important dates written down, like his colonoscopy, last CT scan, and surgery dates.
It was time to make lists, mark the calendars, and get back to our crazy cancer journey. The break was officially over. It was also time to take care of those wisdom teeth before Danny started chemo and would have a weakened immune system. We were as ready as we would ever be!!


That's all for today, and the weekend. On Monday I will talk about our consult with Dr Johnson (the oncologist) and the consult with the oral surgeon. Thanks, as always, for reading. Please continue to follow and SHARE! :) And, if you find yourself with some extra time on your hands and want to help but can't afford to do anything right now... Feel free to write in to Ellen about our story ;)
http://ellen.warnerbros.com/show/respond/?PlugID=433

1 comment: