Our Wedding Day

Our Wedding Day
On our wedding day 6/13/09 (Just 5 days before finding his tumor)

Friday, May 11, 2012

Mother's Day Special!!!!

I wrote a blog yesterday, but didn't get it finished so I didn't post it. I will be posting it next week, because I got some different inspiration for a post today...

Quick fundraiser update... Don't forget about the Thirty-One Gifts fundraiser!! They have some awesome stuff! Go check it out!
http://www.mythirtyone.com/shop/eventhome.aspx?eventId=E1719344&from=MYEVENTS Then click on "Shop Now"

I also need your help everyone!! I want to start an Etsy store.... I don't think I'm particularly crafty, but I know someone with a Cricut machine who can make iron on transfers that way so maybe I could make onesies with cute sayings, names, etc. And kids shirts. Etc.
Do any of you have any ideas on EASY crafts I could do myself and sell online? Do any of you have experience with this that could give me tips?

I'm asking because we are wanting to really raise the rest of the funds fast. Why? Because I was thinking (I'm a big planner and this was all in my head) that we would try to do IVF this time next year. Well, last night I finally realized I hadn't filled in my dear husband on this plan. I was in for quite a shock when he said he'd really prefer EARLIER than this time next year. Most guys put off kids and all that, and I was expecting him to be completely okay with waiting until next year. But. He wants to do it asap. I'm down for that. So. TIME TO GET SERIOUS!!! I am seriously considering trying to get some financing from SOMEWHERE although I think it would be hard to get such a huge loan even from the fertility loan places like Springstone. They can't repo a baby, so you've really got to have fabulous credit from what I understand. So, we're desperately trying to find options now...

And... We've decided where we'll go. OU med center, in OKC. Everything is just RIGHT there. And I've always been a big Sooner fan, thanks to my grandpa!! <3

So... any ideas, etc, are more than appreciated!!! Comment, message me on facebook, whatever is easiest for you. Help me brainstorm! :)


On to my post for the day
...................................................................................................................................................

Have you all noticed that this year there isn't just Mother's Day? It's Mother's WEEK. Or so say the people on the radio, the signs in the store, etc.

I think Mother's Day is hard on step moms out there... it's hard on infertile women out there... And it's ESPECIALLY hard on infertile step moms!!! So again, getting his double time by it. And now that it's not just a day, but a whole week dedicated to motherhood, well, it's just hard.

So, today, I'm going to tell you all how I cope with Mother's Day. My ways may not be for everyone, and I get that. Everyone is different. But they work for me. And maybe you'll know someone in my position or a similar one, and  you can help them out with some of these tips!

1. Be thankful for YOUR OWN mother, mother-in-law, grandmas, and grandma-in-laws.
The women in our lives play such a huge role in our upbringing, and I am SO BEYOND thankful for all the women who had a hand in raising me. And I also include aunts in this category. I'm blessed with some amazing aunts (the two aunts that I spent a ton of time with growing up are Carla and Deldee, I have so many wonderful fond memories of days/weekends at their houses; and my aunt Debbie has been so supportive of us over the past few years and so knowledgeable and just so GREAT, she's helped me to be strong). My in-laws are absolutely wonderful and have been welcoming to me from the start. They are nowhere NEAR those awful in-laws that some people have! I'm so thankful for them! So, on Mother's Day, I will concentrate on all the good they've brought into my life.

2. Don't focus on the fact that you're not a "real mother."
Okay, there, I said it. Do I think I'm a real mother? YES. Do others? Probably not. Over the weekend my wonderful, loving, sweet step daughter asked "What would you want for Mother's Day if you were a real mom?" Insert knife and twist why don't ya? My response (although I felt like crying) was simple. "Faith, do you remember a time in your life that I wasn't around?" No. "Do  you think I've had a huge hand in raising you and helping you become who you are today?" Well yes. "Okay, then. I'm a real mom. I have done my job and will continue to do it. Your mom deserves much much more credit than I do, she brought you into this world and is an amazing mom. But don't think that I haven't had a big hand in this too and that I am any less of a mom to you than I will be to any kids that come from my body."
I would never try to assume that I deserve just as much recognition on Mother's Day as Faith's mom. That's just crazy. BUT I have busted my rear for her, and I do deserve something. And I'm FINE with admitting that. Faith did not come from my womb. But she is mine. She isn't a child of my blood, but she's a child of my heart. And that's what matters, TO ME. So, I'm a real mom. And if you don't agree, well, please keep that opinion to yourself ;)

3. Pay attention to your pets. You're their fur-momma.
I know some people (usually fertile people or animal-haters!) just cannot BELIEVE that some of us think of our animals like they're our kids. Well, whatever. No I don't treat my animals like I would a human child. But my love for them is more than some people have for their human kids, so again I say WHATEVER. And I know that my animals being in MY home with ME as their caretaker is the best place that my animals could be. Nobody could love them like I do (quirks and all... and those of you who know our pets know that I'm basically referring to our devil-cat Simi and the big ol' 90+ pound WUSS Zeus lol). I'm a momma to them, and I know they appreciate it... Even the cats! ;)

4. Focus on all the kids in your life.
I know I mentioned in number 1 that all the women in my life have had an impact on my life. Well, it's time pay that forward with all the kids in my life! I have amazing nieces and nephews on my side and Danny's. I want them all to love me and care for me the way I do MY aunts. I want them to look back on happy memories they created with me. I want them to know they can lean on me when times get tough. I hope what I'm doing now has that result, and I will continue to work harder and harder at that. I love them all so much!

5. Accept all forms of "Happy Mother's Day" calls/texts/cards/etc
I started dating Danny in 06. Mother's Day in 07 wasn't a big deal. Mother's Day 08 I started getting texts on Mother's Day morning telling me Happy Mother's Day. ME? What?! And then I realized... yeah... I do deserve some recognition. We were engaged, we'd been together for almost 2 years, and it was obvious I wasn't going anywhere. Faith's love for me and mine for her had grown beyond belief. Yes. I earned it. To this day, I've still gotten calls, cards, texts, etc telling me Happy Mother's Day. Some people tell me Happy Fur-Momma's Day, which makes me smile. Some people tell me Happy Step-Mother's Day which makes my heart swell. I accept any sort of Mother's Day call/text/card and they all make me feel good, because I KNOW I deserve them, too!

That's about all I've got off the top of my  head... If you have any other tips for getting through Mother's Day that you think others should know, leave me a comment or message me. I'll gladly add it to my list and quote you! :)


Now a special message to those of you who have had miscarriages (of any kind, chemical pregnancies, missed miscarriage)... You deserve to hear Happy Mother's Day too! So, to you, I say HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!! You may not have your child here with you today, but you carried that baby in you for a day, multiple days, weeks, some of you for months. YOU ARE A MOM. You earned that title, just like your babies earned their wings. You will see your babies again some day. <3

And Happy Mother's Day to all of you Moms, Step-Moms, Fur-Moms, Mothers-in-law, Grandmas, Grandmas-in-law, Aunts... ANY WOMAN who has a hand in raising a child(ren). Happy Mother's Day to ALL OF YOU!!!


Thanks for reading everyone!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Good job on this, and youre so right about you being a "real" mom to Faith. OF COURSE you are, in every way that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister sent me this poem in a text on Mother's Day...it was beautiful. I wept.

    “Happy Mother's Day”
    it comes around every year;
    but when you have empty arms,
    it's very hard to hear.

    It's a day to celebrate a mother,
    for all the trials she overcame;
    and a reminder to an infertile
    of her loneliness and shame.

    But what really makes a mother,
    Is it just conception and birth?
    Or is there something more,
    that shows a mother's worth?

    It's putting your child first,
    in everything you do;
    it's sacrifice and determination,
    and love and patience too.

    An infertile woman makes all her plans,
    around a child not yet conceived;
    she loves them even though they aren't here,
    more than she ever could have believed.

    She appreciates and understands,
    what a blessing that children are;
    she works hard for just a chance,
    that motherhood is not that far.

    All odds are stacked against her,
    and yet she still has hope;
    everyday is another struggle,
    finding ways to help her cope.

    So even though her arms are empty,
    she can still be a mother too;
    So say a special “Happy Mother's Day”
    for those waiting for their dreams to come true!
    -RS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh thank you so much for sharing this. It made me cry too!! <3

      Delete