Our Wedding Day

Our Wedding Day
On our wedding day 6/13/09 (Just 5 days before finding his tumor)

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tornado destruction

Happy Tax Day...
Not really. We had to pay the state. I just finished up filing and submitting our payment. What a pain. At least I am back to work and we will HOPEFULLY therefore not OWE next year. We shall see!

Have you all ordered your cookies yet?! No? You better get on it. It's like heaven in your mouth! Really!! And the crabs are SO STINKIN' CUTE!!!!!!! You can order here:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/events/388112987876732/

Also, the Cherry Berry fundraiser is Thursday. DON'T FORGET!! All sales after 4pm (and until close) will be added up and we will get 10%!!! It's the one at Central and Maize! I've had multiple people mention that we should do this at the one in Derby as well. I have no idea how this one was set up (my dear friend Rhonda took care of all of it), but I will look into it! :)

......................................................................................................................................

I'm not posting any more of our story today. I know I've done that a lot lately, and I apologize. But, I almost feel bad about continuing on with the fundraisers right now. If you aren't local, I will tell you why....
We live in Wichita, Kansas. Have you heard about it in the news over the past few days?
We had a tornado rip through on Saturday night and some areas really look like a bomb went off. People lost homes. And I'm supposed to feel good about continuing on with our fundraisers to have a baby? Well, I'm not going to cancel or reschedule. We've put a lot of time and effort into our fundraisers. BUT, I will have you all know that Danny and I plan to help with the relief efforts in any way we can.
So, while people are helping us, we are also helping others. Which we would've done anyway. My first way of helping will be to donate pet food, which I just seen a post about a few minutes ago. If you're local and love animals the way we do, and want to help that way, here's what they need:
ONLY unopened, unexpired food please. Dog and cat food, and cat litter are in high demand. Donate at Skaer Veterinary Clinic for the next 7 days and animal control will pick it up. It will be available at the Community Center 2937 E Oaklawn on Oaklawn Drive each day at 1 pm for 1 hr each day for the residents of Oaklawn. Sedgwick County Animal Control will be transporting the food and Skaer Veterinary Clinic at 404 S Edgemoor will be accepting the donations. Thank you! For more information, please call 619-1723

Of course the United Way and the Red Cross are involved with the relief efforts, and Danny and I plan on looking into how we can be the most beneficial. Monetary? Volunteering to help clean up? We will figure it out. If you're local, I urge you to help out, too.

If you're not local, but are near, I urge you to help any other city that was effected by the tornadoes. READ: There were 120 tornadoes Saturday night. Many areas were effected. People need help all over. Kansas had ZERO fatalities (thanks to the DAYS of warnings we were given, many were well prepared).
However, Woodward Oklahoma didn't get so lucky. Last I heard (I haven't been on the news much today) they had six fatalities. Some of those were children :(
Woodward got about a 3 minute warning. And even then, some of their sirens weren't working because of damage from the storms that had hit earlier in the evening. ALSO, many were still without power, so it wasn't possible for them to watch it on tv and prepare that way.
The pictures I've seen from Woodward have been absolutely awful. It's really a destruction zone. They need tons of help!!! If you're in/near Oklahoma, help them out!

That's all I've got today. I'm just urging everyone to help these people if they can, in any way they can. I absolutely can NOT imagine no longer having a home (the Wichita tornado was too close to our house AND to the building I was in during the storm, but we were safe and our home had no damage! SO thankful for that!). I can NOT imagine losing a loved one because of a storm. I can't imagine how any of them are feeling right now. But I hope they find some sort of comfort through the love and support from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment