Our Wedding Day

Our Wedding Day
On our wedding day 6/13/09 (Just 5 days before finding his tumor)

Thursday, April 5, 2012

So, we are getting hit double time by this... awesome

Today is going to be another different kind of blog post. After I update on fundraisers, I'm going to bring to light some facts on infertility. I did it with colon cancer, and I feel the need to list the facts on infertility. Why? Because we suffer from it because of the cancer surgery, and we're not the only ones. I know MULTIPLE people going through fertility treatments of some kind right now, or who are trying unsuccessfully to make a baby on their own. I don't think people really realize how COMMON infertility is, so I want to open your eyes a bit!

First, fundraiser updates!

As you all know, the cupcakes event this month was cancelled. Because of this, a wonderful friend offered to open up her month to a fundraiser we'd discussed doing over the summer. I am sworn to secrecy for a few more days though... I will be announcing it on Facebook as soon as she will allow me ;) And on here as soon as I post again, after she's given me the go-ahead. And a hint... This is NOT just an event for local followers... and it's YUMMY!!

The CHERRY BERRY fundraiser!!
It is still a go for the 19th!! We will be there and we hope you will be, too!!!

The Photography fundraiser with Jennifer should be this month sometime, when I get the for sure date, I will let  you all know :) The weather is crazy here during the month so I'm hoping it will work for us, instead of against us, on the day she chooses!

I think that's all I've got for now? Or all I can think of at this moment. I will edit the post if I think of anything else to add!!

.....................................................................................................................................................

Infertility Facts (As with my post about IVF, I am not a doctor or a scientist or anything like that, if I get any of these facts wrong or they are outdated, I apologize. If you want to add/correct anything I post here, comment and let me know what needs to be changed!)

First of all, I am going to post a picture of three of the books I've read in preparation of IVF. There are others I've ready, too, but these three were great. (Note, Inconceivable is another book I highly recommend but that's not necessarily a book on IVF, so I didn't include it here. It is well written though, and their story is heart wrenching.... Read it!)

My favorite of these three books is The Couple's Guide to In Vitro Fertilization by Liza Charlesworth. It's not only a wealth of information, it's also sprinkled with actual accounts from people who went through it. It makes it relatable and an easy read. It will be the book I take with me to all my IVF appointments when that time comes!
When Nature's Not Enough by Diana M Olick has good info, too, but is mainly interviews of couples that have gone through the different types of fertility treatment. It is divided into sections so you follow the steps of IVF with the couples that went through it.
IVF: The Wayward Stork by Sarah A Tursi and Lea McCarthy is a small book that is a very quick read. It answers lots of questions and is packed full of information on IVF and all of the steps you'll go through.

So, now to the facts (these facts I found in my favorite of my IVF books:The Couple's Guide to IVF):
~Approximately six MILLION American women are affected by infertility.
  ~That's one in ten women of child bearing age
~Only 21% of infertile women seek medical care to determine the cause of their infertility and/or treat it
~Research shows that the levels of depression faced by infertile people are as high as those dealing with life-threatening illness (When I read this fact all I could think was:So, we are getting hit double time by this... awesome!)
~Only 15 states have mandated infertility coverage (Arkansas, Hawaii, Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Montana, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Rhode Island, West Virginia, California, Connecticut and Texas). These do not all cover IVF, but they do all cover fertility treatment of some kind, unless they find a loophole!
~Less than 20% of all IVF patients actually have substantial insurance coverage
~A recent study found that if insurance companies chose to cover all infertility benefits (including IVF) the cost to each policy holder would be about $20 a year
~Prenatal care costs insurance companies about 200 times the amount of fertility treatments (which makes me feel like we are paying for coverage for all of the fertile people out there, but they don't want to help cover costs to get us to that point, but that's a whole different matter)
~Less than 1/20 of all couples who could benefit from IVF actually seek out treatment
~Some celebrities that have gone through IVF include Celine Dion, Brooke Shields and Courtney Cox

That's all I've got for now, and those facts were just from ONE of the books I read. There are SO many more facts out there. SO many people are effected by infertility. It's not just us. I would say that's a comfort, but it's not. I wish nobody had to go through all of this, honestly. It's stressful, it's scary, it's EXPENSIVE. I just can't wait to get on the other side of this battle and finally be called Mommy.
Thanks for reading today!! Please remember to SHARE SHARE SHARE

No comments:

Post a Comment